Marriage Visas

Marriages between Indians and Foreigners

In the case of a marriage between an Indian and a foreign national, it has to be registered in India

A notice of intended marriage has to be filed with a local Marriage Registrar. At the end of the 30 days, the Marriage Registrar is free to perform the marriage.

The notice of intended marriage can only be given in India if at least one partner is permanently and the other partner temporarily resident in India.

After the stipulated waiting period of 30 days, the marriage can take place in India. Under the Special Marriage Act, 1954 a certificate showing the signatures of the persons married, the registrar and the witnesses will be issued. This Certificate is required as proof of the marriage and when applying for a visa to for a foreign country.

The following documents are required for both the partners:

- a valid Passport

- original Birth Certificate showing parents' names

- if the person concerned is widowed, the original death certificate of the deceased spouse

- If divorced, copy of the final decree

- documentary evidence regarding stay in India of the parties for more than 30 days.